We are often asked this question, that’s why we wanted to write this article where we tell you how often it is convenient to paint your home and we give you some tips so that the painting lasts longer in perfect condition.
Many times, they ask us how often it is convenient to repaint the house. In truth, there is no single and definitive answer to this question, as each case is different. In general, paint application specialists recommend repainting every 3 or 4 years, although there are many variables that can determine that we have to paint before.
Although it is true, that if it has been applied correctly, the paint is of 1st quality and proper maintenance is carried out, we can extend the time without painting up to 5 or 6 years.
Experts recommend painting the house every 3 or 4 years. Although, following certain tips, we can extend this frequency to more than 4 years.
Next, we will see what factors influence the frequency of painting and we will give you some recommendations to keep the paint in good condition in your home.
Factors that influence how often you should paint your house
There are different factors that influence that we have to paint our home more or less frequently. Some of the most important are:
The habits of the people who live in the house.
For example, if you smoke indoors, tobacco smoke causes stains on walls and ceilings. If there are small children and pets, rubbing on the walls and stains are more frequent. Without forgetting that if we have a small “artist” at home, it is possible that we find some wall defaced with pens or markers.
The quality of the paint and how it has been applied.
Using good materials to paint the house clearly influences the time that the painting will last in correct conditions, but even more influences on this duration are having applied the paint correctly. If the person who has applied the paint is not a professional, it is very possible that the application is not the correct one and in a short time, there will be chipping on the wall, less protected areas, moisture stains, etc … Provoking that we have to repaint more frequency.
Environmental factors also influence this decision
For example, in rooms where the sun is very bright, the paint may lose its vividness and intensity faster. On the other hand, in wetter rooms such as bathrooms or kitchens, condensation stains can emerge on ceilings and walls more easily.
Dust and daily friction are factors that are common in all cases.
The very dust that is in the environment adheres to walls and ceilings causing the paint to lose lucidity. On the other hand, the usual rubbing on the walls with furniture or hands, for example when moving the curtains or turning the lights on and off, can cause stains and wear on the paint.
Why is it good to paint the house every 3 or 4 years?
Creating a habit in which we renew the paint of our home every 3 or 4 years gives us a series of advantages such as:
- To be able to improve the aesthetic aspect of the home that will look cleaner, more comfortable, and brighter.
- Being able to change the decorative style, update to new trends, and try new colors. To help you choose the colors, we recommend that you take a look at our article on 9 Best Paint Colours for Your Home.
- Disinfect and clean. The paint components themselves disinfect and clean walls and ceilings. There are even specific anti-bacterial paints, highly recommended to apply in kitchens, bathrooms, and when there are young children at home.
- Eliminate moisture and/or condensation stains. By painting with good quality products, we remove these stains and help them not come out again.
- Hide the flaws that have been made in the day to day (holes in the wall of furniture or pictures that are no longer there, rubs, scratches, chips, etc.)
- Assist in the sale or rental of the home. A well-maintained home has more value on the market.
If you are thinking of painting the house, hire Sydney painters
If you want the painting to last longer, we recommend that you hire Sydney commercial painters to paint your house. If you wish, at Technicolor Painting and Maintenance we can comfortably give you a quote through our online contact page. Or you can reach us via:
Phone: 1300 733 489 and 0412 222 706